Women’s Hormone Replacement Therapy
What happens when our hormones are out of balance?
Hormones are a vital part of our endocrine system. Some of the glands and organs that secrete hormones include the adrenal, thyroid, pancreas, ovaries and testicles (men). This whole system works together to ensure a controlled level of hormones throughout our body. If one or more of these become imbalanced, even a little, it can cause several health issues, some of which can be severe.
Some well-known health problems that are associated to a hormonal imbalance include:
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- High blood pressure
- Osteoporosis / osteopenia
- Anxiety / Depression
- PMS / PMDD
- Low libido
- Painful intercourse
- Infertility / miscarriages
- Unexplained weight gain
- Chronic fatigue
- Low estrogen
- Low testosterone
- Erectile Dysfunction (men)
What are the Symptoms of Hormone Imbalance?
Our hormones carry chemical signals to various parts of our bodies, telling us that it’s time to get some sleep or that it’s time to eat. They also help our bodies regulate its temperature based on the environment, react to both physical and mental stress in a healthy manner, and simply get through our day to day lives with ease.
Symptoms of hormonal imbalance can range depending on each individual and their circumstances, as well as the ground root cause of the imbalance. Symptoms can also vary depending on the disorder or illness caused by a hormonal imbalance.
Here are some of the more common symptoms experienced by both males and females with a hormone imbalance:
- Unexplained weight gain or weight loss
- Hair loss and/or thinning
- Infertility and irregular periods
- Low libido / low sex drive
- Painful intercourse
- Hot flashes / night sweats
- Digestive issues and/or changes in appetite
- Insomnia or other sleep disturbances
- Chronic fatigue
- Mood swings
- Depression and anxiety
- Brain fog / poor focus
- Memory issues
- Loss of muscle tone
- Erectile Dysfunction (men)
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Migraine Headaches
- Heart palpitations
- Decreased exercise tolerance
- Body-joint aches & pains
- Chronic dry skin
What Causes Hormone Imbalance?
Hormonal imbalances are not caused by just one factor, they are caused by a contribution of multiple factors, both internal and external.
Risk factors that you can control include:
- Diet – a diet that is high in processed foods is a major culprit
- Sedentary lifestyle – besides hormonal imbalance, not getting enough exercise leads to several other major health complications
- Stress levels – being unable to handle minor, everyday stresses over time can affect hormone levels drastically
- Environmental toxin exposure – living in heavily populated cities with human-produced pollution can affect your hormones and create other various health concerns or in areas of known higher concentration of chemicals such as power plants, industrial or manufacturing areas, large non organic farming, large airports, etc.
Risk factors that are out of your control:
- Genetic disposition – if it runs in your family, it is likely to affect you as well – sometimes
- Medical history – some medications and health problems contribute to hormonal imbalances, even after you’ve stopped treatment or resolved the issue.
- Surgery – hysterectomy (removal of uterus), salpingo-ooporectomy (removal of one or both ovaries) orchiectomy (removal of one or both testes), thyroidectomy (removal of part or all of the thyroid).
- Age – menopause, perimenopause (the time in your life before your period stops) and andropause in men cause a natural decline of hormone production
- Environmental toxins exposure – yes, this is listed under both controllable and non-controllable. You can choose to live away from a pollution-producing factory, but you can’t choose to live away from natural pollutions such as pollen dispersal and organic compound evaporation (rain!).
What is Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Natural or Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy is a proven method to help regain a healthy hormonal balance. When administered and monitored properly, Natural or Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy can bring your hormones back to a healthy and optimal state, which will improve your overall health and well-being. When your hormones are at their optimal levels, side effects and symptoms are reduced or reversed.
Whether your symptoms are caused by the natural decline of hormones, unavoidable surgery, lifestyle factors, or even factors that are outside of your control, Hormone Replacement Therapy can help you feel great again.
A hormonal imbalance during the reproductive years for women may cause irregular periods, PMS or PMDD symptoms, infertility, thyroid problems like hypo/hyperthyroidism, Hashimotos, Graves or even Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). In addition to controllable factors to hormone imbalance that may happen during the reproductive years, most women will notice a hormonal imbalance during perimenopause and menopause and many will need some help to control symptoms.
Common outcomes for women after receiving Hormone Replacement Therapy include:
- Successful weight management and/or weight loss
- Improved moods and reduced irritability
- Better sleep
- Improved libido and sex is less painful
- Positive attitude returns and life is more optimistic
- Brain fog is lifted and feel like your brain is back
- Improved motivation
- Improved decision making and making better choices
- Improved energy, less fatigue
- Like your spouse/mate/partner again
- Noticeably healthier hair, skin and nails
- Workouts and exercise is easier
- Dreams, goals and future plans can be made again
- Life is good again
What is the process?
An appointment begins with a complimentary consultation in clinic to learn more and to discuss available options. MedStudio offers testing for hormones, micronutrients, food intolerances and sensitivities, gut health and much more. MedStudio is staffed with highly qualified Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRN’s), nurse practitioners, clinic nurse specialists who will also discuss any lifestyle conditions that may be having an impact on your hormone levels and overall health. This may include other health conditions, lifestyle habits, stress levels, as well as your personal goals for this treatment and care. MedStudio’s care is relationship based and creates a personalized treatment plan tailored just for you and your needs.
The methods of Bio-identical or Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy administration vary, and while certain methods may be recommended by your provider, ultimately the choice is up to you to decide what method you are most comfortable with – pellets, creams, orals, injections, suppositories.
Patients are empowered and continually supported. You are encouraged to contact MedStudio at any time to schedule a FREE consultation.