Women’s Hormone Replacement Therapy
What happens when our hormones are out of balance?
Hormones are a vital part of our endocrine system. Glands and organs that secrete hormones include the adrenal, thyroid, pancreas, ovaries and testicles. This whole system works together to ensure a controlled level of hormones throughout our body. If one or more of these become imbalanced, even a little, it can cause several health issues, some of which can be severe.
Some well-known health problems that are associated to a hormonal imbalance include:
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Low estrogen
- Low testosterone
What are the Symptoms of Hormone Imbalance?
Our hormones carry chemical signals to various parts of our bodies, telling us that it’s time to get some sleep or that it’s time to eat. They also help our bodies regulate its temperature based on the environment, react to both physical and mental stress in a healthy manner, and simply get through our day to day lives with ease.
Symptoms of hormonal imbalance can range depending on each individual and their circumstances, as well as the ground root cause of the imbalance. Symptoms can also vary depending on the disorder or illness caused by a hormonal imbalance.
Here are some of the more common symptoms experienced by both males and females with a hormone imbalance:
- Unexplained weight gain or weight loss
- Hair loss and/or thinning
- Infertility and irregular periods
- Low libido
- Digestive issues and/or changes in appetite
- Insomnia and/or fatigue
- Depression and anxiety
What Causes Hormone Imbalance?
Hormonal imbalances are not caused by just one factor, they are caused by a contribution of multiple factors, both internal and external.
Risk factors that you can control include:
- Diet – a diet that is high in processed foods is a major culprit
- Sedentary lifestyle – besides hormonal imbalance, not getting enough exercise leads to several other major health complications
- Stress levels – being unable to handle minor, everyday stresses can affect hormone levels drastically
- Environmental toxin exposure – living in heavily populated cities with human-produced pollution can affect your hormones and create other various health concerns
Risk factors that are out of your control:
- Genetic disposition – if it runs in your family, it is likely to affect you as well
- Medical history – some medications and health problems contribute to hormonal imbalances, even after you’ve stopped treatment or resolved the issue.
- Surgery – hysterectomy, salpingo-ooporectomy, orchiectomy, thyroidectomy,.
- Age – menopause, perimenopause and andropause in men cause a natural degeneration of hormone production
- Environmental toxin exposure – yes, this is listed under both controllable and non-controllable. You can choose to live away from a pollution-producing factory, but you can’t choose to live away from natural pollutions such as pollen dispersal and organic compound evaporation (rain!).
What is Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Hormone Replacement Therapy is a proven method to help regain a healthy hormonal balance. When administered properly, Hormone Replacement Therapy can bring your hormones back to a healthy and normal state, which will improve your overall health and well-being. When your hormones are at their optimal levels, side effects and symptoms are reduced or reversed.
Whether your symptoms are caused by the natural deterioration of hormones, surgery, lifestyle factors, or even factors that are outside of your control, Hormone Replacement Therapy can help you feel great again.
A hormonal imbalance during the reproductive years for women may cause irregular periods, intensified PMS symptoms, or even Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). In addition to controllable factors to hormone imbalance that may happen during the reproductive years, most women will notice a hormonal imbalance during perimenopause and menopause.
Common outcomes for women after receiving Hormone Replacement Therapy include:
- Successful weight management and weight loss
- Improved mood and reduced irritability
- Heightened sexual interest and desire
- More optimistic mental and emotional attitude
- Noticeably healthier hair, skin and nails
What is the process?
An appointment begins with a complimentary consultation to learn more and to discuss available options. Medstudio offers testing for hormones, micronutrients, food intolerances and sensitivities, gut health and much more. Medstudio is staffed with highly qualified nurse practitioners who will also discuss any lifestyle conditions that may be having an impact on your hormone levels and overall health. This may include other health conditions, lifestyle habits, stress levels, as well as your personal goals for this treatment. Medstudio creates a personalized treatment plan tailored just for you and your needs.
The methods of Hormone Replacement Therapy administration vary, and while certain methods may be recommended by your provider, ultimately the choice is up to you to decide what method they are most comfortable with – creams, gels, patches, injections, pills, pellets, suppositories.
Patients are empowered and continually supported. You are encouraged to contact MedStudio at any time to schedule an appointment.